Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Distorted Views !!!

Nishcalatattve jiivanmuktiH!!
No!! I dint Say this…
in fact this is a “quote”(I don’t know if it is the right phrase) by  Jagadguru Aadi Sankaraacharya; centuries ago.  Since those are his words, must have some meanings. Last few days, I was striving to find the meaning of these words. Struggling- upside down, right n left, inside and outside! Sorry, I lack the insight to find its meaning on my own, nor did I find any body, who could explain it well. Google, of course gave out a lot of stuff, I felt those had little relevance.
Finally I again manned myself with the task. By then I could feel a whirlpool appearing in my thoughts.
Eurekaa!!
 These words explained, just two things. Two… simple…. things!
1. Nischala Tattvam= the principle of Idleness.   This idleness can be explained as abstinence, asceticism, self-denial etc
2. Jivan Mukthi= freedom in/from (both looks to be almost same) life (where life= karma) ie. Freedom from karma (work)
When used together, these two words say that you keep yourself idle and achieve the transcendental freedom from karma, life etc.  In other words refrain yourself from work, and obtain freedom in life.
When explained, it says, that the more you keep yourself idle, the faster your freedom is. This theorem is universally true as well. Eg. Keep yourself idle at work; you will be freed from the work place. If you keep yourself idle at home, after somedays, they will free you from all the homely ties. It’s just a matter of few days. The same happens in marriage too. Your idleness will force your wife, free you from all her burdens.
This can be explained by means of modern Newtonian principles also. As described in the first law of motion, your idleness (continuous state of rest) not having any external force to act upon you (work and other activities), will leave you at the same idleness (state of rest), which in turn brings freedome, mukthi, moksha etc.
I hope my understandings are not distorted at all J

2 comments:

  1. Well, there are interpretations and interpretations, as anything and everything, I believe comes with the writer's intent, and more importantly, the reader's intent!

    Not distorted at all :) The contemporary application of an age-old philosophy is very realistic, except that one has to remember that someone of Shankaracharya's stature would have probably looked aeons into the future when he uttered those words!!! And probably issued it as not just an ideal, or a principle, or a "tattvam", but a dire warning :D!

    Timely thought, for me too!

    ReplyDelete